global air travel

Our practice nurses will be pleased to give advice to those patients going abroad. Allow adequate time in order for the vaccine(s) to be effective. Certain vaccines are chargeable (please see our Fees and Charges page).

You may require vaccinations relating to your foreign travel. You are required to complete and submit a Travel Assessment form (see below) to include which countries and areas within countries that you are visiting to determine what vaccinations are required. Once completed please bring the form back to the surgery and hand it in at reception where it will be passed to our Practice Nurse, who will determine if any travel vaccinations are required.

There is further information about countries and vaccinations required on the links below

EuropeEurope & RussiaNorth America North America
Central America Central America South America & Antarctica South America & Antarctica
Caribbean Caribbean Africa Africa
Middle East Middle East Central Asia Central Asia
East Asia East AsiaAustralasia  Australia & Pacific

 It is important to make this appointment as early as possible  - at least 6 weeks before you travel. These vaccines have to be ordered as they are not a stock vaccine. 

Your appointment to receive the actual vaccinations needs to be at least 2 weeks before you travel to allow the vaccines to work.

Some travel vaccines are ordered on a private prescription and these incur a charge over and above the normal prescription charge.  This is because not all travel vaccinations are included in the services provided by the NHS.

Travel Health QuestionnaireTravel

Click here to access the Online Travel Assessment form

To help us offer the appropriate advice, please fill out the online form before coming to see the nurse.

There are some travel vaccines that are available FREE through the NHS:

There are vaccines such as yellow fever that is only available privately:

For further information about travel vaccinations please click the following link NHS Choices - Travel Vaccinations

Travelling in Europe

If you are travelling to Europe the EU has published useful information for travellers on the European website

European Health Insuranceehic

A valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland. The EHIC covers treatment that is medically necessary until your planned return home. It also covers pre-existing medical conditions and routine maternity care, provided the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth or seek treatment.

Click here to Apply for your FREE European Health Insurance Card

When Abroad

Check on the quality of drinking water. If in doubt either drink bottled water or use water purification tablets. Avoid ice in drinks as this may well have been made from suspect water. Raw vegetables, salads and fresh fruits should be carefully washed in clean water. If in doubt stick to freshly cooked food.

Beware of the sun! Use a high factor sunscreen particularly in the first few days of exposure. Children in particular should be closely monitored during this time. In hot climates drink plenty of non-alcoholic drinks. If you are not passing water regularly you are not drinking enough.

On Your Return

If you fall ill don't forget to tell your doctor that you have travelled abroad. If you have received treatment abroad then tell your own doctor on your return. When donating blood tell the transfusion staff which countries your have visited.  

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website